Every studio that produces slots has mathematicians who create mathematical models. This is the basis, which determines how the slot will pay out, how much and when. That is, they lay such important characteristics as RTP, volatility, frequency and size of payouts. Then, on this basis layered all the other elements – graphics, sounds. If we judge by the cult slots, we can conclude that the game mathematics is more important to many players than appearance. For example, look at Dead or Alive, available at NetEnt Casino. This is completely outdated in terms of graphics slot, which was produced many years ago. But still players remember and love it, and that’s because of the mathematical component – its high variance. If you want access to the best slots, it makes sense to use the best casinos, such as 888 casino canada, which you can learn more about here https://slots-online-canada.com/review/888-casino/.
An explanation of the mathematics of slot machines
There is a video that explains in the simplest example what the mathematics of a slot machine means. This example looks at a classic slot where the number of symbols on each reel is 20. This information is only for those who are really interested in how the mathematics of slot machines. Or who just want to look at the amount of work that mathematicians have to do, and that it’s not all that easy. You can find a video online, we’ll just describe it in the article.
- The first thing the author does is to describe the payout table. The one you can find in any slot machine.
- Then he shows the frequency of each symbol on each of the three reels. For example, the seven on all three reels appears only once. Bar can fall out in 3 cases on the first reel in two on the second and in one on the third. At the end of the table it adds up all the values and calculates the total number of symbols that are possible on the reels.
- Next, it is necessary to determine the maximum possible occurrence of a particular combination. To do this, the frequency of the symbol on each reel is multiplied. For example, only one line is possible, in which the seven will fall out on all three reels simultaneously (1x1x1). The number of lines when watermelon + watermelon + bar will fall out is 4 (2x2x1). This is because on the first two reels there are two watermelons (2×2), and on the third reel is possible only one bar (2x2x1).
- After the frequency of a certain combination is calculated, the value is multiplied by the payouts that these combinations give. This is how the total payout for this combination is found. Then all these payouts are added up and the total payout is obtained.
- When the total return of all paid combinations is counted, these values are added up to determine the total amount of returns.
- Next, he counts the probability of any payable combination, no matter what combination. Since there are only 20 symbols on each reel, the number of possible combinations (including paid and unpaid) is 20 to the third power. Expected return (RTP) is 94.45%.
This is just one of the simplest examples. When you add reels, lines, wild symbols, bonuses, etc. All of this math becomes more complex and complicated. Moreover, you have to keep in mind that there are different kinds of slot machines and all the time developers are adding new slot mechanics.
How do slot machines work?
For players slots are easy entertainment, but for developers it is a lot of work. At least for those who create good slot machines. And while most of the processes should be automated nowadays, you can’t underestimate the work they do. If you are looking for the best online slots canada, it makes sense to explore https://slots-online-canada.com/ first.